Save Dough- Roast a Jalapeno

I hate wasting money! How many time have you purchased fresh vegetables only to have them sit in your refrigerator until they were a science experiment.  You all know exactly what I am talking about.  I am pretty sure the vegetable bin in your refrigerator was invented by someone that had stock in the zucchini trade. This is the first post in a series. I want to show you how to conquer the vegetable bin and save you a little money.

Due to the fact that Grocery Outlet does not have scales, we sell our produce by the bag, or by the eachs. We often hear people say things like...I really don't need 8 pounds of oranges.  Now that Paul and I are empty nesters I can truly understand this statement.  When we were raising 4 children I had to buy 2- 8 pound bags of oranges.  😁

What is the solution? To find ways to use what you purchase.  In today's blog I am going to go over how I process extra jalapeno peppers.  Most of the time I really only need one jalapeno pepper, but unless I want to shop someplace else then I buy the one pound bag. As you can imagine, that's a lot of peppers. 

What do I do with the peppers I don't use right away?  I roast them, seed them, and freeze them.  This is a perfect solution and eliminates the need for me to throw them away.

Roasting Jalapenos is really very easy.  If you are lucky enough to have a gas range then you can roast them right on your stove top.  If you are like me and have a glass top, then your option is to use the broiler setting for your oven.  If it is summer out, I grill them.  Which ever method you choose the goal is to blister and char the peppers until they are black. 

Place the peppers on a baking sheet and turn your broiler on high.  Place the baking sheet under the broiler and allow the peppers to char and blister.  It took about 5 minutes on each side for my peppers to get to this stage.  You will need to rotate the peppers throughout the cooking process.  


Once the peppers are charred you will want to place them in a small paper bag, wrap them in parchment paper or a paper towel and allow them to cool.  The steam from having them wrapped up makes them very easy to peel. 


Once they are cool, cut the stems off of them and peel the peppers. Cut them in half and remove the seeds.  Depending on how hot you like your food, you may not want to remove the seeds.  I personally like the jalapeno flavor without as much heat.  Roasting them also helps to eliminate some of the heat and gives them a nice charred flavor.  At this point you can label and date a small freezer bag and pop them in the freezer.  The next time you need a Jalapeno Pepper you just remove one from the bag and you are set to go.  The best part is you saved a little moolah!  

*Some of you may be saying that sounds like a lot of work for $1.99 bag of Jalapenos.  It does take a little bit of time, but I starting looking at the number of times during the year I was throwing out a dollar here and a dollar there, and it started to add up.  Plus I get a kick out of knowing that I was able to use something instead of just throwing it away.  

What are some of you best money saving tips?  

Comments

Popular Posts