Tomato Basil Soup


When I was a little girl if my Mom had told me we were having Tomato Soup and Cheese Sandwiches for dinner I would have been fine with the sammie, but OH, HECK no on the Tomato Soup!

Fast forward 40 years, or so, and Tomato Basil Soup is one of my favorite, go to, quick dinners. 

I am trying to be better about writing down my recipes for those of you that love to follow directions.  Not everyone can be a rebel. :-)  This is my version of Tomato Basil Soup.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Tomato Basil Soup

2 Tablespoons of  Olive Oil
1 Whole Onion - Diced
1-2 Tablespoons of Garlic
2 Tablespoons of Flour
2 14.5 ounce cans of Stewed Tomatoes or Tomato Sauce
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
1 Tablespoon dried Basil or 3 Tablespoons of fresh Basil
1 Tablespoon of Sugar
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese (optional)
1/2 -1 cup of Cream or Half-n-Half
Salt and Pepper to Taste

In a heavy saucepan (I like to use my dutch oven) add Olive Oil and turn on to medium-low heat. After the oil has heated up for a few minutes add the onion and garlic. Stir occasionally until the onion is soft.

Add Flour and continue to cook until the flour begins to brown slightly. 

Once the flour has begun to brown you can add your Tomatoes, Lemon Juice, Basil and Sugar.

At this point if your soup is too thick you can add a little water to thin it out to the consistency you would like.  Just remember that you will be adding a little cream later.

Turn the soup down to low and allow it to simmer 20 t0 30 minutes.  The longer it simmers the more of the basil flavor you will get. 

Turn the heat off and add the Cream and Parmesan Cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted.

Salt and Pepper to taste.

Garnish with Fresh Basil and serve with French Bread, Toasted Cheese Sandwiches, Croutons, or a Salad.

Comments

Popular Posts