Shrimp Bake


I am not sure if it the cold weather or just the fact that I love a good Shrimp Bake, but I have been craving this weekly. It is so easy and quick to put together.  The ingredients for the basic dish are simple: Shrimp, Sausage, Corn on the Cob, and Potatoes.  (OK, there are a few others, but I digress from the point.)  You could substitute or add items like Crab Legs, Crayfish, Cauliflower or Mushrooms.  I am going to share the recipe in a per person way.  I make this for just my husband and I, so you may use more of something if you are feeding more people. The beauty of this dish is it is easily altered and can feed 2 or 102. 

On to the recipe!

Shrimp Bake

1/2 a pound of 16/20 count shrimp per person (if you are using frozen shrimp it needs to be thawed. I personally leave buy the frozen that have been cleaned, but still have the shell on them.  I like to cook them in the shell as it leave them moist and adds flavor to your overall dish)
2 sausages per person (you can use Polish or Andouille Sausage)
2 small red potatoes per person
1 ear of corn on the cob per person (cut in half)
1/2 cup of Butter
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Lemon
Seasoning Mixture (see recipe below)

Seasoning: Old Bay Seasoning is the quickest and easiest thing to use, but I usually blend my own mix as I only shop at Grocery Outlet, and we do not always have Old Bay. My mixture is as follows and is enough for making this dish for 2 people.  More people equals more seasoning. 

2 bay leaves
2 Teaspoons Celery Salt
1 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
1 Teaspoon Paprika
1 Teaspoon Ginger
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 Teaspoon Allspice
1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Directions:
Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with Aluminum Foil. You want the foil to be longer than the pan so that you can make a pouch out of later. Cover the foil with a piece of parchment paper.  I do this so that you do not pick up a metallic taste from the foil.  Cut you potatoes into quarters and add them to the baking sheet. Drizzle them with the Olive Oil and a little salt and pepper and put them into bake for 20 to 25 minutes. You want them to be about half way cooked before you add the other items.  While the potatoes are cooking make your seasoning mixture.

After the potatoes are half way cooked pull them out of the oven and add your sausage, corn on the cob, bay leaves, and half your seasoning mix to the potatoes. Dot the butter around the entire dish.  Add a piece of parchment paper to the top of the pan and then cover the whole thing with another piece of Aluminum Foil.  Fold the two piece of Aluminum Foil together along the edges to form a pouch.  Return to the oven for another 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes remove your pan from the oven and CAREFULLY open the pouch.  It will release steam so please be careful.  At this point you can add your shrimp. I also cut my lemon in half, squeeze the juice over the pan of goodies and then add the lemon to the mix.  Add the rest of the seasoning mix, give it a gentle stir, recover the top with foil and return to the oven for 5 to 10 minutes until the Shrimp have cooked through and are pink. 

I hope you enjoy this meal as much as we do.  You can serve if alone, or with french bread.  If you would like a wine recommendation, I would go with a Syrah. It will pair nicely with the spice of the dish. 

If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will answer them to the best of my ability. 

Until next time, cook what you love and eat it!


Comments

  1. ☆☆☆☆☆
    A 5 star meal.....This makes me yearn to be at the beach. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts